Today’s microwave ovens appear in the kitchens of almost every home because of its convenience. It helps to warm up and prepare food in a short time especially on mornings when you rush to work or school. However, for some reasons, your microwave will emit a continuous sound that makes us very uncomfortable and forces us to find a way of answering the question of how to silence microwave for good. If you’re looking to enjoy a quick and easy meal using your microwave, you might also be wondering about the best brand of sardines to use for a delicious and healthy dish.
Actually, each model will have different usage and the sound will be different, how to mute a microwave will also be different. The emitted sound may come from objective and subjective reasons, we may forget to take out food after using it or improperly close the microwave door before using it. So if you are a forgetful person, the mute will depend on your wishes.
However, the noise may be caused by the problem inside of your microwave oven. Today we will help you find the cause and solution to your problem in details:
- Things you should know before silencing your microwave
- The four methods with step by step instruction you can apply to silence your microwave for good
Have a brief look for the four methods that after testing we found them most effective that you can follow:
- Silencing the Beep Using Built-In Directions
- Doing A Hard Reset
- Try A Quick Break
- Getting A New Microwave
Things You Should Know Before Silencing Your Microwave
If you want to cure something, you must know what the disease is. Before we want to silence the microwave, we have to figure out why it sounds like that. Below we have summarized the most common and easiest ways to find the cause for these sounds:
- Check to see what is the characteristic of the sounding: if your microwave doesn’t stop beeping even after you’ve taken out the food, your microwave is having a glitch.
- Open and close the microwave door again: sometimes the cause of the microwave making constant noises is that the machine’s sensor doesn’t sense the door is closed. Usually, you can only remedy the situation with more force together.
- Check that your microwave oven is getting the full power it needs to function: in some places the power supply is relatively weak making not only the microwave but most electrical appliances have problems and almost cannot work, in addition you should also check your home’s electrical outlet, if you use too many devices on the same outlet, it will definitely affect the work efficiency of your microwave.
- Take your microwave directly out of the electronics repair shop: if you are not confident and fearful of further damage to your microwave then it’s best to take it to the repair shop to find out the most accurate cause for your microwave.
Four Methods To Help You Silence Your Microwave For Good
Method #1: Do A Hard Reset
Honestly, this is the cure for almost any kind of ailments in any machine, and it’s the easiest way that people often think of first: unplug the microwave’s power cord and wait about 5 to 10 minutes then plug it in again.
This is like a computer reset button for a microwave. This removes any excess charges and returns the microwave to its original state. After plugging in the power cord again, the microwave will normally work again and the annoying noises will be gone.
However, if your microwave continues to make annoying noises, you can apply method 3 below.
Method #2: Try A Quick Break Routine
Our microwave sensors will be faulty sometimes, in case your microwave keeps making annoying squeals, it may be detecting something in it. You can now reset its sensors by performing a simple cooking operation.
Frequently, this alone can already eliminate the lingering annoying cries of a microwave oven forever. Please follow the steps below:
- Make a cup of water with sugar and salt: if you just turn on the microwave with nothing in it, it will damage your oven, but if there is only water, the water will explode suddenly and cause damage to your microwave, so mixing salt and sugar with the water will limit that possibility.
- Place the cup in the microwave and turn it on low for a few seconds: this should help your microwave sensor detect the problem. Don’t take it out immediately and wait about 15 seconds.
- Take out the cup and press STOP / CLEAR: after this, the microwave sensor will normally work again.
Method #3: Put Your Microwave on Silent Mode
As mentioned above, the noise coming from the microwave can help remind you to take out food after heating is complete, but of course someone will need it and don’t need it. Therefore, many manufacturers also design a quiet mode to prevent customers from feeling uncomfortable about their products. First of all, how to know if your microwave oven is silent or not, you can refer to the following ways, it will definitely not take too much of your time:
- Look at the microwave front: the simplest and most common way is to look at the front of the microwave, its keypad part. It will not have the button to write directly as “Silence” but instead will be “Sound” or “Volume”. Press and try to see if your microwave oven is muted.
- Check the manual: normally we will skip this book after we have removed the microwave oven from the box. However it can be of great help, it will contain basic information about the microwave oven and explanation of its parts. Information on how to mute microwave should be available.
- Look at your microwave’s “smart” remote control: There are many models of microwave ovens today that also come with a smartphone-powered remote control that helps a lot for you. If your microwave is smart like that, the easiest thing to mute it is to use it. Open your app, find the microwave sound settings and adjust it.
- Go online: As mentioned we usually won’t keep the manual, as before this case, most of the providers have their own website so you can go online to find their website and then look for the mute section for your microwave model. There are many different models of microwave, you can see what your microwave oven is by looking at its back. Another way is to call the customer care hotline number attached to the provider’s website.
Once we find the mute button for your microwave, how to mute microwave will be explained as follows:
- Look on the keypad of your microwave the button “Sound”: Many microwave models leave this button mixed in with the cooking program buttons, possibly near the Time / Clock buttons.
- Press the button: After pressing it normally you will see the button change to “OFF” or the display will show “SILENT” mode. With some models you will need to press twice or hold for a few seconds to make sure you can switch to silent mode.
- Once you see “OFF” or “SILENT” or “QUIET” on your microwave’s display, press start: After this is done, your microwave is set to silent. After that, you will no longer hear annoying squeals anymore.
- If one day you want to turn on the sound of the microwave oven simply press the “ON” button and then “START” again.
However some microwave models will not have a sound button so obvious that you can easily find it at first sight. Don’t worry they will still have a silent mode but the installation might be a bit tricky. Depending on the model of your microwave oven, you can find its own manual and follow the instructions on how to access the audio settings. Usually you can hold down the “Cancel” or “0” button to access the sound settings and mute the microwave.
Method #4: Buying a new microwave
Actually, no one wants to admit that their microwave is about time to be replaced with a new one. However, if you have tried everything you can to no longer hear that annoying beeping, then you should not worry about it too much and buy a new microwave. The following signs are warnings that you should replace your old microwave:
- Functions on your microwave started to function incorrectly and fully: Functions on your microwave such as the display, timer or heating system will start to malfunction and directly affect the cooking process or more seriously, your safety. At this point you really should not continue to use your current microwave oven.
- Your microwave oven has had too long a lifespan: Of course microwaves are designed to last for long periods of time, but after a decade or two they will definitely wear and tear, no matter how durable they are. In addition, older models will not be equipped with new innovations, such as silence buttons and it is best to think about buying a new one.
Check out the top best microwaves we’ve chosen here.
When To Silence The Sound Of A Microwave?
The noise you often hear from a microwave is not bad in nature, nor is it certain your oven is about to fail. Depending on the model, the noise will be different, there are models that design on-off noises, while others emit annoying, high-pitched noises.
The microwave manufacturer has designed these calls for their greatest purpose to remind us to close the microwave door carefully before operating it or take out the food after use to avoid spoiling the food and breaking the machine.
However, saying that you have to go to work early and need to heat up your food but you are living with other people, if the microwave makes a too loud noise, your roommate will wake up uncomfortably. In this case, considering muting the microwave is a wise choice.
Also if you have a good memory and the sound of the microwave is really annoying then it is necessary to mute it.
When To Keep The Sound Of The Microwave On?
If you often have to reheat food over and over due to your forgetfulness, leaving the sound of the microwave oven on is essential for you. It saves you time and the amount of food you will likely waste.
Where Do The Sounds Usually Come From?
- Turntable: Usually because microwaves have been in use for a long time, the turntable will not work very well. However, this problem is not so important and can be fixed quite simply by calling a mechanic.
- Exhaust Fan: This is an indispensable part of a microwave as it helps to ventilate and can extend its lifespan. The fan’s activity can make a few small and disturbing noises. You can tell it by turning off the exhaust fan and see if there is any noise left. If not, it may be because the fan motor is the source of the sound. Usually you do not need to be too concerned about it, but if you notice the noise getting louder over time, you should call a repairer or bring it to a reputable repair address.
- The Magnetron Tube: This is the crucial part to creating a steady stream of heat to cook your food and will usually not make any noise. If you notice growling or high-pitched sound while cooking, this is a sign that the microwave magnetron tube has a problem, possibly burns out. This problem can be solved by calling a repairman to replace it because you certainly do not want to continue using a device that has been short-circuited and could put you in danger at any time. Please bring the microwave to a reputable repair site for advice on replacing the best quality components, I do not encourage you to replace at home, especially if you are not experienced in machine repair.
- Stirrer Motor: This is a metal blade that evenly divides heat and cooks food evenly. Of course, after a long time using any component, there will be problems, the stirrer motor is no exception, it will probably emit the grinding noises. You should replace this motor to eliminate these unpleasant sounds as well as make cooking more efficient.
How To Keep My Microwave Longer?
- Turn off the exhaust fan to avoid the moisture rising from pots and pans to collect on the electronics of the microwave and shorten its lifespan.
- Do not use excessive force when closing the microwave door.
- Don’t put any metal in the microwave and never spin it with nothing inside. You can have a look of 11 things you should put in a microwave here.
- Only use the cooking programs available because the manufacturer has calculated the best temperature for the machine and especially do not fix the hardware of the machine if you do not have experience and knowledge about it otherwise you will make the machine be damaged worse.
- Clean the microwave regularly to remove any debris that could damage the internal engine.
When Should You Repair Your Microwave?
Manufacturers typically promise up to 10 years of use in a microwave, but in time nothing can guarantee that no problems will occur with it. Look for the signs below to decide whether to repair your old microwave?
- One part that might have a problem: If one day you find the microwave door loosened (mostly due to improper usage) or the inner turntable is broken, in short the parts that could easily be replaced, you can call the repairman to come over your house directly to help you or if you can totally bring it to more reputable addresses to be able to repair your microwave with the best quality components.
- Surface-Level Problems: Using for a long time or moving a lot will cause the microwave to appear scratches on the surface or cracks in the door. Since these visible traces are easy to notice, replacement is also easier. Actually it should not affect you much on your cooking process.
- A Small Malfunction: Suddenly one day, when you put the food in to cook, you find the dish is skewed and not rotating, you simply need to clean the microwave or use a little wap to fix the problem. The same goes for when the microwave door is stuck or difficult to open and close. If these problems occur it is important that you calmly find out if the cause of the problem is only external and not due to internal problems.
- An Installation Issue: for mounted microwaves, usually the problem will not arise from the component but from the way we install it so to solve it quickly you just need to find a bolt and a small sanding tool to adjust.
What To Look For In My New Microwave?
The simplest features you may look for when buying a new microwave include:
- Suitability for your home kitchen: The size of the microwave, its design or what material will best suit your kitchen conditions.
- Capacity: The larger the capacity of the microwave oven, the faster the cooking speed, usually the one with a capacity of at least 1000W is able to cook at a good level. You should consider which capacity level will best suit your family’s needs
- Reliability: Read the reviews and consult a lot before deciding to buy
- Price: depending on your family’s financial conditions, you should choose the most suitable microwave. However, you should also not be too economical but buy too cheap machines.
- Preprogrammed Settings: Depending on the needs of each family
- Noise: As much as you can tolerate, buy the one with the best sound level
- Safety: Read the reviews and make the best decision especially if your family has kids
Having to listen to those annoying cries over and over again will make you really uncomfortable and no one wants it to happen. The easiest and fastest way you can do it is a quick break or a hard reset. As provided above you can choose which method is most suitable for you to apply successfully.
It is best to use the features available in the microwave, rather than manually repairing any of the accessories inside to avoid making the microwave oven worse. Find out where the button “SILENCE” or “VOLUME” or Silent mode to mute your microwave is the one you should apply to increase its life.If you have tried everything and still does not work then it’s best to replace it with a new one. We have provided the most essential knowledge you need to know to have a microwave oven best suited for your family’s needs. In addition, you must always be careful when using it so that you can extend the life of your microwave, if used incorrectly, no matter how expensive and new the model it will not be used for too long.
15 Best Microwaves under $100 in 2020
How To Measure Cubic Feet Of Microwave For Free And Further Info