Having a green and attractive lawn, regardless of the weather, is not such a hard task to achieve if you have the right lawn sprinkler. Of course, there are various factors to consider for the perfect option. And we have made it easier for you by providing the necessary information you need to get the best lawn sprinkler to make your lawn the envy of everyone.
Why you need a Lawn Sprinkler
Everyone is now living life in the fast lane. There is hardly any time left to do anything, let alone water the flowers and the lawn.
It can also be quite tiring and boring taking the time to water the lawn ourselves. Let’s admit it; you cannot religiously follow a program to water the plants. You will find you have overwatered while trying to make up for your forgetfulness – maybe procrastination. As a result, our lawn suffers as it waits for you to find the time and pick the hose.
A good sprinkler will, therefore, do all the tedious work for you. You will not need to be around for the lawn to look glorious. They’re also convenient as they provide the right amount of water the grass needs to thrive and look attractive.
And unlike the hoses, sprinklers may make use of smart water-saving features, significantly reducing the total monthly bill.
If you have children, they will love playing in the water during the hot months. There is nothing as refreshing as letting the water drops fall on you when it is simmering hot outside – and children know better.
The Different Types of Sprinklers
- The spray sprinkler: these models are perfect if yours is a small garden or space. They work considerably well if you have a vegetable garden on the side. These are not spendthrifts when it comes to water and will be suited for those worrying about the water bill at the end of the month.
- The Drip Systems: these are commonly used in greenhouses. They have a small hole where water drips into the soil. These systems are ideal for watering specific plants and leaving other areas – it allows you to focus on feeding certain plants. Drip systems allow controlled use of water.
- Rotor Heads: these are large-scale sprinklers that will comfortably accommodate extensive areas. They are designed to produce a continuous stream – quite different from their spray counterparts. Rotor heads are not quite the water savers that you may be thinking about.
- Oscillating Sprinklers: these make use of individual jets to deliver water to the plants. The good thing about them is that they provide an even distribution of water to the plot or land – you can adjust according to the size. These are commonly plastic and aluminum. But you will still find brass varieties that demonstrate more efficiency in water dispersion.
- Standing Sprinklers: these are typically mounted on a tripod and have the benefit of reaching a large area of the lawn. If using a tripod, you have the option of adjusting according to coverage. But these can prove more useful in certain circumstances – you can have various sprinkler heads in multiple areas of the lawn.
- Traveling Sprinklers: they use water pressure to self-propel. They move along the path laid down by the hose. You can vary this path accordingly depending on the plants and areas you need to water.
Let’s Talk about Safety
Sprinklers cannot be said to be entirely harmless when they are in your yard. They can cause considerable injury to the children playing around them, such as sprains and trips. It may seem like fun running around them, but care is necessary.
It is essential to teach the children how to behave around sprinklers to avoid injuries. Regardless, avoid the pulsating models if you have a toddler around.
How to use Them
Sprinklers function by spraying water in the air. The majority of the time, these waterfalls are on the leaves. If the sun is shining bright and the weather is simmering hot, some of this water gets lost in the atmosphere through evaporation.
If they are poorly controlled, then the chances of your plants contracting diseases are high. When the water sits on the leaves for an extended period, they can get blights that can decimate your entire crop population within a short time.
Before you can deploy your sprayers, you may need first to determine the amount of water your greens are going to need. It is better to water deeply and infrequently than often and shallowly. Watering deeply allows the roots to go deeper and avoid instances of drying out quickly during the hot summers.
Set your sprinklers to water at dawn. This time is the best as there is adequate sun to dry the leaves and cool enough for minimal evaporation into the atmosphere.
Lawn Sprinkler Reviews
SOMMERLAND Spot Sprinkler
This sprinkler has a durable and heavy-duty construction, ensuring that it will stay for a long. The product has attractive coverage that goes as far as 2800 SQF. And when the pressure of the water is low, the device works well – you will not need to worry about anything.
The product is safe for small children as it does not contain raised objects. There are also no moving objects except the large spray area.
- Durable construction for long years of service
- Sufficient coverage of 2800 SQF
- They are ideal for small gardens and lawns
- Relatively safe for small children
- Rust resistant
- Not the best quality and may have several flaws that would affect its effectiveness.
Gilmour Adjustable Circular Sprinkler
If you are in the market for a durable piece of equipment, then you are in good stead with this option. The body is die-cast metal that will give you a significant number of years. It has a wide sprinkling area of up to 5,800 square feet – a decent distance. It also has an adjustable collar you can use to determine the coverage. You can go with either full or partial coverage.
- A durable body that will give you a significant number of service years
- A good sprinkling area of up to 5,800 square feet
- You can choose between partial and full coverage
- Has a turn dial for determining the distance of the spray
- It is quite heavy
- Unsafe around kids and so will need to take extra precautions
MyGarden Automatic Water Sprinkler
You will need a sprinkler with a wide coverage area if yours is an expansive lawn. This garden lawn has a decent 3600 square feet. It has an attractive design that the kids will love playing with.
It comes with a number of spray patterns that you can choose according to your needs. There is a 90-degree rotation pattern that can go as far as 6 meters. The other, with an angle of 45 degrees, can reach a radius of 10 meters.
- Extensive coverage of up to 3600 square feet to reach every corner of your expansive lawn.
- Has several spray patterns you can choose from according to your needs
- Has an attractive design that your visitors may love
- Easy to use
- Does not come with directions for installation and use
- The coverage is not the best
- Its construction is not the most durable
Rain Bird 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler
This is a brass impact sprinkler that produces a classic sprinkling sound. It is durable and made of stainless steel, brass, and bronze.
This product is easy to install and will not give you much trouble. And it comes with a number of spray patterns which you can choose from. It is not so hard to operate like some other options in the market.
- A durable product made of brass, bronze, and stainless steel – durable metals
- Has several spray patterns, and you can choose the most appropriate for you.
- Comes with an adjustable spray distance
- A quality product that will give you a significant number of years
- Easy to use that anyone can operate it
- The up-and-down lever is not very effective
- May not go full circle when sprinkling
Orbit 58257N Metal 3-Arm Sprinkler
This is among the few with a full-circle sprinkling ability. This means that it is appropriate for your garden. The distance is also adjustable and can vary according to preferences. If your lawn is medium-sized, then this may be the most ideal for you.
This lawn sprinkler is well-made and so is durable to give you many service years.
- Good for medium-sized lawns
- Makes a full circle sprinkling for efficiency
- Has a durable construction
- Only ideal for medium-sized lawns
- Not very safe around children
Lawn sprinklers are some of the essential gardening equipment that makes your task of watering the grass and other plants so much easier.
The one you choose should be easy to use. It should also be durable and have a sufficient coverage area. From the above review, our top choice product has to be Gilmour Heavy-Duty Adjustable Circular Sprinkler.